This calzone has no tomato sauce so that the delicate flavor of the crabmeat will be a bit stronger.
- 2 1/2 cups lukewarm water
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 envelope RapidRise yeast
- 8 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons salt
- Olive oil, as needed
- 2 cups onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cups green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups crab meat or surimi, shredded
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Dough: Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large stainless steel bowl, add water and then sugar and yeast. Mix
with a fork, making sure that all yeast is incorporated.
- Add flour. Sprinkle salt on top of the flour. Wash your hands.
- Mix ingredients in a circular motion with one hand, then use both hands
to squeeze ingredients together. After flour is fully incorporated, knead mixture
for 2 minutes. Shape dough into a ball and remove from bowl. Lightly oil inside of bowl.
- Place dough back into bowl and press down. Cover bowl with a damp clean
towel. Place next to the preheated oven for about 20 minutes.
- Remove dough from bowl, place on cutting board, and cut into 4 equal pieces.
- Liberally oil two jellyroll (11 1/2 x 17 1/2 inches) sheet pans.
- Spread out each piece of dough into a round shape, two per pan.
- Filling: Sauté onion slices and pepper strips in olive oil, until onion
- Remove onion and pepper from pan, then combine with Parmesan cheese in a
- On each circle of dough, cover half the circle with an equal portion of
1/4 of the onion-pepper mixture. (Do not go all the way to the edge of the dough.)
- Sprinkle each calzone with 1/2 cup of shredded crabmeat and 1/4 cup shredded
- Assemble 4 dinner-size calzones: Roll the top piece of dough over the filling,
which will form a semicircular shape.
- To seal the calzone, turn up the edge and pinch it into the rest of the
dough, all the way around the semicircle.
- Bake until golden brown (about 15 minutes).
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.