I love spinach calzones but no one else in my family does, and paying $8.00 apiece
for them at the local deli was getting to be too much so I decided to try and make
my own tonight and they came out great! Here is what I did.
- Pizza dough (store bought or homemade)
- 2 packages frozen spinach, steamed, drained and cooled
- 1 medium onion, sliced thin
- 1 (4 ounce) package feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 cup pizza cheese
- Follow directions for pizza crust as if making pizza.
- When crust is ready - spread spinach over 1/2 of crust then sprinkle feta,
onions and pizza cheese over spinach.
- Fold crust over spinach and seal edges.
- Bake at 425 degrees F for about 15 minutes or until crust is golden.
I used a homemade crust and I used a small size cookie
sheet with sides as my pizza pan. You can also make this with a pizza sauce on the
crust before the spinach but I prefer it without.
Posted by Robin in MA at Recipe Goldmine on 11/12/2001 6:44 pm.