Candied Corned Beef Sandwiches
- 1 (4 pound) corned beef brisket
- 20 black peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons tomato ketchup
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon molasses
- Place brisket in a pot and cover with water. Add peppercorns and bay leaves and
bring to a simmer. Cook for 3 to 3 1/2 hours until fork tender.
- Drain corned beef and place on a foiled baking sheet. Set aside and make glaze.
- Glaze: Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a bowl, mix together sugar, soy sauce, mustard, ginger, ketchup, pepper flakes
and molasses. Brush brisket with glaze.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, re-glazing two times while baking.
- Refrigerate overnight and slice across the grain very thin for sandwiches.
Yield: 10 sandwiches