Feta-Walnut Sandwich with Heirloom Tomatoes
Pimentón or smoked paprika adds flavor to this spread topped with crunchy walnuts.
- 1 cup California walnuts, toasted, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup parsley leaves, fresh, flat leaf
- 1 clove garlic, small (optional)
- 1/2 cup feta cheese
- 1/2 cup cottage cheese, low fat, low sodium
- 1/4-1/3 cup water or milk, low-fat
- 1 teaspoon pimentón or paprika, ground
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 6-8 slices artisan bread, fresh or toasted
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Extra California walnuts, chopped, for sprinkling
- Heirloom tomatoes, ripe, enough to slice thickly
- for 6 sandwiches
- Oregano, dried or fresh
- Black pepper, freshly ground
- Spread: Place the walnuts, parsley, and optional garlic in a blender or food
processor, and pulse in spurts until the walnuts and garlic are finely ground and
the parsley is feathery and all is combined.
- Add the feta cheese, cottage cheese, water or milk, and seasonings, and puree
- Transfer to a small bowl, cover tightly and chill until cold.
- Sandwiches: Brush each slice of bread with a little olive oil, then spread the
topping thickly and sprinkle with extra chopped walnuts.
- Top with thick slices of tomato, a sprinkling of oregano and a few grinds of
fresh black pepper.
- Serve open faced.
Created By Mollie Katzen - Chef and Author
Reprinted with permission from