Hearty Onion-Veggie Sandwiches
- 2 (3 ounce) packages fat-free cream cheese
- 18 slices multi-grain bread
- 1 large red onion (about 12 ounces), thinly sliced
- 1 cup sliced cucumbers, marinated in French dressing
- 12 crisp lettuce leaves
- 12 tomato slices
- 6 ounces thinly sliced cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 cups alfalfa sprouts (optional)
- Spread cream cheese evenly over 6 slices of bread.
- Top with half of the onion slices and all the cucumbers.
- Stack with lettuce leaves, sliced tomato and a second slice of bread.
- Lay cheddar over second bread slice, then add sprouts and remaining onions.
- Top with third slice of bread.
- Cut sandwiches in half and secure with picks.
Yield: 6 servings
Nutrition Information: Per serving: About 405 cal, 21 g pro, 56 g carb, 12 g fat, 25% cal from fat, 36 mg chol, 858 mg sod, 8g fiber
Recipe and photo used with permission from: National Onion Association