Mile High Shrimp Sandwiches
- 1 large carrot, julienned
- 1/4 cup julienned red onion
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 package alfalfa sprouts
- 1 1/2 pounds cooked or grilled medium shrimp, peeled, deveined
- 6 large slices sourdough bread, lightly toasted
- Juice of 1 lime
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Coarse or kosher salt
- Blue cheese dressing
- Blanch the carrots in rapidly boiling, salted water for about 30 seconds, or
until the color is set, but the carrots are still very crisp.
- Drain well and cool under cold, running water. Pat dry.
- Combine the carrots, onion, lemon juice, brown sugar, ginger and cayenne in a
small bowl and toss to mix. Season with salt and additional cayenne, as desired.
Set aside. (This can be made earlier, covered and refrigerated.)
- Halve the avocado, holding the pit half in the palm of your hand. Whack the sharp
side of a kitchen knife in the pit, twist slightly and pull out the pit. Pull off
strips of peel from each half or scoop out avocado flesh into a small bowl. Mash
with a fork, leaving some texture and adding the lime juice and salt to taste.
- Lay out sourdough toast on a work surface. Spread the mashed avocado mixture
on top of the slices.
- Lightly mound some sprouts on top; sprinkle with the carrot
- Arrange shrimp on top and generously drizzle with blue cheese dressing.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.