Super Roast Beef Subs
- 1 (1 ounce) envelope onion soup mix
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup chunky salsa
- 2 (16 ounce) Italian bread loaves
- 4 cups shredded lettuce
- 1 pound deli roast beef slices
- 2 tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Colby-Monterey jack cheese blend
- Combine first 4 ingredients in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Stir in 1 cup water; cover with plastic wrap, folding back a corner to allow steam to escape.
- Microwave at HIGH 4 to 5 minutes or until thickened, stirring once.
- Stir in salsa.
- Slice off top one-third of each bread loaf lengthwise; hollow out bottoms of loaves, leaving 1-inch thick shells.
- Place 1 cup lettuce in bottom of each shell.
- Layer each with half of roast beef, half of salsa mixture, and remaining roast beef.
- Sprinkle with tomato and cheese; spread with remaining salsa mixture, and sprinkle with remaining lettuce.
- Cover with bread tops, and press down lightly.
- If desired, wrap in plastic wrap and chill.
Yield: 8 to 10 servings