Frank Blandi's Original Devonshire Sandwich
- 3/4 stick butter, melted
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 pound Cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups hot milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
For each sandwich
- 1 slice toast, crusts trimmed off
- 3 slices crisp bacon
- 5 thin slices cooked turkey breast
- Melted butter
- Parmesan cheese and paprika
- Cream Sauce: Melt butter in deep pan and add flour, stirring constantly.
- Add chicken broth and then hot milk, stirring all the while.
- Add cheese and salt. Bring
to boil, then cook slowly for 20 minutes, still stirring.
- Cool to lukewarm.
- Beat with wire whip until smooth before using.
- For each sandwich: Heat oven to 450 degrees F.
- In each flat, individual ovenproof casserole dish, place 1 slice of toast and
top with 3 slices bacon. Add 5 thin slices of cooked turkey breast. Cover completely
with cream sauce. Sprinkle with a little melted butter, then with the combined Parmesan
cheese and paprika.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.
Source: Frank Blandi, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania – 1934
Please SHOP HERE to support this site. We are an Amazon affiliate as a means of paying for the high cost of maintaining Recipe Goldmine. Thank you.