Breakfast Panini with Georgia Pecans,
Cheddar and Sausage
Panini are Italian sandwiches, generally pressed and pan-grilled, made with a
variety of fillings, especially leftovers. While a panini-maker or grill pan is
ideal for their preparation, this breakfast version, which pairs nutty pecans with
a classic morning-food mixture of eggs, onions, cheese, and sausage, can also be
cooked in a standard skillet.
- 1 teaspoon butter, plus more for bread
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 4 fully-cooked breakfast sausages (thawed if frozen), chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped Georgia pecans
- 4 large eggs, well beaten
- 8 thick slices Italian bread
- 4 ounces yellow cheddar cheese, thinly sliced
- In nonstick skillet, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add the onions, sausages, and pecans; sauté until onions are just softened—about
- Add eggs and cook, stirring constantly, until eggs are firm but not dry. Transfer
sausage mixture to plate.
- Heat a panini maker or a grill pan over medium-high heat.
- To make four panini, divide sausage mixture into 4 portions. Mound each portion
on one slice of bread.
- Top each with one ounce of cheddar, then a slice of the remaining bread.
- Very lightly butter the outside of each panini.
- Cook in batches in panini maker until both sides of each panini are golden; serve
promptly. Or, if using a grill pan or skillet, cook two panini at a time, placing
a heavy skillet or heat-proof dish on top to weight down panini as they cook.
- When golden on bottom, turn panini over and grill other side until golden; serve
Yield: 4 large panini | Prep: 10 min | Cooking: 25 min
Nutrition information per panini (using a total of 2 tablespoons butter for
all four servings) – calories: 544; protein: 26g; carbs: 35g; saturated fat: 12g;
monounsaturated: 14g; polyunsaturated fat: 5g; cholesterol: 273 mg; fiber: 3g; sodium:
Recipe and photo used with permission from: Georgia Pecan Commission
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.