This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our
California Avocado, Rosemary
Chicken and Pancetta Panini
- 6 boneless and skinless chicken breast halves
- Olive oil, as needed
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped finely
- 1 California avocado
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped lemon zest
- Salt, as needed
- Pepper, as needed
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 12 pieces focaccia, about 4 x 5 inches each
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 6 slices (rounds) pancetta (Italian bacon), fried crisp *
- Arugula leaves as needed
* Two to three slices of bacon may be substituted for each slice of pancetta.
- Pound each chicken breast half to an even thickness, about 3/8 inch.
- To pound chicken, put 1 breast half between two pieces of plastic wrap.
- Pound with mallet
or the flat side of a French knife to desired thickness, repeat with remaining chicken.
- Lightly coat each piece with olive oil; rub each with some of the rosemary and
- Marinate in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours or up to 12.
- Roughly mash avocado; stir in lemon juice and zest; reserve.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- In a frying pan lightly filmed with olive oil, pan-grill chicken until just firm
to the touch, 2 to 3 minutes per side; reserve.
- Spread a generous tablespoon of the avocado mixture on 6 pieces of focaccia;
spread 1/2 tablespoon mayonnaise on remaining pieces of focaccia, mayonnaise-side
- Lightly film a large, hot frying pan with olive oil.
- Pan grill sandwiches, lightly
pressing down on each with a spatula, as they cook, until focaccia is browned on
- Turn; repeat procedure.
- Cut each sandwich in half diagonally.
* Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about
8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
Nutrition Information per Serving: 760 calories, 34g fat, 115mg cholesterol,
1340mg sodium, 45g protein
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
California Avocado Commission