A Giant Hero Sandwich for Dad
Super heroes don’t always wear capes and tights or fly through the air. Nope,
some modern day heroes wear shorts and a t-shirt and answer to, “Dad!” And with
Father’s Day quickly approaching, it’s time to start thinking about how we can honor
the heroes in our lives.
Why not make him something he would really love to eat? This year, use your own
super powers to make an awesome hero sandwich for dad.
There are three simple things you can do to keep this hero sandwich far from
ordinary. First, go the extra mile and bake your own bread. It’s super easy, especially
with help from some frozen bread dough. Nothing sets the mood like fresh baking
bread, and you know something amazing is in store when you smell it baking.
Next, create an extraordinary savory cheese spread full of Italian flavors. It
gives this handcrafted sandwich a big kick of “yum.” Lastly, for its crowning glory,
make your own pickled onions. Pickling the onions replaces the typical harshness
with a sweet and tangy flavor. Put all of these items together with his favorite
Italian deli meat, and you have one incredible sandwich fit for a hero.
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) Challenge Butter
- 1/3 cup
onion, finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed and divided
- 2 loaves frozen bread
dough, thawed according to directions
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
Champion Cheese Spread
- 1 tub Challenge Whipped Cream Cheese
- 2-3 tablespoons pepperoncini or banana peppers, diced
- 1/4 cup roasted red bell
- 1/4 cup olives, diced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 cup fresh
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 red onion, cut into thin slices
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound assorted
Italian deli meats of your choice
- 1 large tomato, thinly sliced
- 1 cup lettuce,
- Bread: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium size skillet, melt the butter, add onions and cook until softened
and light golden brown (about 5 minutes.)
- Stir in two cloves of garlic and remove
- Place thawed bread dough on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Form dough into
two loaves (about 12 inches long.)
- Brush tops with butter mixture and sprinkle
with sesame seeds.
- Bake loaves for 20-25 minutes or as directed on package.
- Let cool and cut
in half horizontally with a serrated knife.
- Picked Onions: In a small bowl combine sliced red onion, vinegar, sugar
- Add just enough water to cover onions.
- Let pickle for at least one
- Champion Cheese Spread: In a medium bowl, combine the whipped cream cheese,
the remaining two cloves of garlic, pepperoncini, olives, oregano, basil and
- Spread mixture on top portion of each bread loaf.
- Fold deli meats in half and arrange on bottom portion of bread followed
by the slices of tomato.
- Top with shredded lettuce and pickled onions.
- Add cheese covered top portion.
- Cut into 2-inch pieces.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Yield: 12 (2-inch) slices
Tip: To make this sandwich extra special, consider making a flag to stick in
the middle of your Hero sandwich. Print out your greeting on your computer, glue
to a piece of scrapbooking paper and attach a long toothpick. Stick in the middle
of your sandwich so everyone can know who your Hero is!
By Suzanne Clark
Reprinted with permission from