Beefy French Onion Loaf
Everyone will love this flavorful Beefy French Onion Loaf. A wonderful meal all wrapped up in delicious dough.
Prep: 20 min | Bake: 30 to 35 min | Servings: 6
- 1 loaf Rhodes™ Bread Dough or 12 Rhodes™ Dinner Rolls, thawed
- 2 cups thinly sliced onions
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 (12 ounce) beef tenderloin or sirloin steak
- 1 teaspoon flour
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 3/4 cup grated Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 can beef gravy, if desired
- Spray board or counter top with nonstick cooking spray.
- Roll loaf or combined dinner rolls into a 12 x 16-inch rectangle. Cover with plastic wrap and let rest.
- In a skillet, sauté onion in butter over medium low heat 10-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove onion with slotted spoon and set aside.
- Cut beef into thin strips and add to skillet. Increase heat to medium. Cook and stir until browned.
- Return onion to skillet. Stir in flour, sugar, oregano, garlic, parsley, salt and pepper.
- Add broth and cook and stir for 6 to 8 minutes or until liquid has evaporated.
- Remove plastic wrap from dough.
- Spread beef mixture evenly over middle third of dough going lengthwise.
- Sprinkle with Monterey Jack and Parmesan cheese. Fold sides over meat mixture. Tuck ends under.
- Place on a large sprayed baking sheet. Make several 1/4-inch deep cuts on top of loaf. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise 30 minutes.
- Remove wrap and bake at 350 degrees F for 30 to 35 minutes.
- Serve warm with beef gravy, if desired.
Recipe and photo used with permission from: