Braided Athenian Bread
This recipe has a Greek influence and makes a beautiful addition to your table
both in taste and beauty.
- 12 Rhodes Yeast Dinner Rolls or 1 Loaf Rhodes Bread , thawed
to room temperature
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced garlic
- 6 ounce can whole black
- 1/4 cup chopped Italian parsley
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- 1/4 cup sliced sun-dried tomatoes
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- poppy seeds
- Spray counter lightly with non-stick cooking spray.
- Roll loaf or combined
dinner rolls into a 10 x1 6-inch rectangle.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let
rest for 10-15 minutes.
- In a bowl, combine garlic, olives, parsley, capers, tomatoes, sour cream
- Remove wrap from dough and spread filling lengthwise in a 4-inch
strip down center of dough.
- Sprinkle filling with parmesan cheese.
- Make cuts 1 1/2-inches apart on long sides of dough to within 1/2-inch of
- Begin braid by folding top and bottom strips toward filling.
- Then braid
strips left over right, right over left. Finish by pulling last strip over and
tucking under braid.
- Lift braid with both hands and place on a large, sprayed baking sheet.
with beaten egg and sprinkle with poppy seeds. Cover with sprayed plastic wrap
and let rise for 30 minutes.
- Remove wrap and bake at 350 degrees F for 25-30 minutes or until golden
- Cool slightly and slice to serve.
Prep Time: 15 min (not including thaw time)
Bake Time: 25-30 min
Recipe and photo credit:
Rhodes International - rhodesbread.com.