Cheese Accordion Loaf
This is simply ingenious! Every other cut is filled with two cheeses, tomato, onion and black olives to make a fun party loaf.
- 1 loaf uncut Italian bread
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, melted
- 8 (1 ounce) slices Wisconsin provolone cheese
- 8 (1 ounce) slices Wisconsin mozzarella cheese
- 8 thin slices tomato
- 8 thin onion
- Sliced black olives
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Make 15 cuts in the bread, not going all the way through to bottom crust and yielding 16 slices, equal in width.
- Brush melted butter on all cut bread surfaces.
- In first cut, place 1 slice each of provolone, mozzarella, tomato, onion and a sprinkling of black olive slices.
- Leave second cut empty and repeat until every other cut is filled.
- Place on ungreased baking sheet and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until bread is hot and cheese is melted.
- To serve, cut through bottom crust at unfilled cuts.
- Serve immediately.
Recipe and photo used with permission from:
Dairy Farmers of Wisconsin