Grilled Ham and Cheese
Pull-Apart Sandwich Loaf
Assembled in minutes, this sandwich is ready to be toasted on the grill or the campfire.
To bake foil-wrapped loaf, bake at 350 degrees F 40 to 45 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Add a little horseradish to the mustard for more of a flavor kick.
- 1 (10 to 12 inch) loaf Italian bread
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
- 1 tablespoon spicy brown or country-style Dijon mustard
- 6 (1 ounce) slices Swiss cheese
- 3/4 pound thinly sliced fully cooked ham
- Heat gas or charcoal grill. Spray 25 x 18-inch sheet of heavy-duty foil with cooking spray.
- Without cutting all the way through, cut loaf of bread into 12 (3/4 inch) slices, cutting to within 1/4 inch of bottom.
- Stir together butter and mustard. Spread every other slice of bread with slightly less than 2 teaspoons mustard mixture, creating 6 sandwiches. Fold each slice of cheese in half diagonally; tuck each into sandwich. Divide ham
evenly among sandwiches, tucking in to fit. Place loaf on center of foil. Seal edges, making tight 1/2-inch fold; fold again, allowing space for heat circulation and expansion.
- Place foil-wrapped loaf on grill over medium heat. Cover grill; cook for 20 to 25 minutes or until cheese is melted and loaf is hot, turning loaf frequently.
- To serve, open packet carefully to allow steam to escape. Remove foil from loaf; pull apart sandwiches.
Prep: 15 min | Total: 40 min | Servings 6
Nutrition Information–Serving Size: 1 Sandwich Calories 440 Calories from Fat 180 Total Fat 20g Saturated Fat 10g Trans Fat 1g Cholesterol 70mg Sodium 1250mg Total Carbohydrate 10g Dietary Fiber 2g Sugars 0g Protein 26g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 8% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 30% Iron 20%
Exchanges: 2 1/2 Starch; 0 Fruit; 0
Other Carbohydrate; 0 Skim Milk; 0 Low-Fat Milk; 0 Milk; 0 Vegetable; 0 Very Lean Meat; 2 1/2 Lean Meat; 0 High-Fat Meat; 2 1/2 Fat
Carbohydrate Choice 2 1/2
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Recipe and photo used with permission from: