Ham and Cheese Party Loaf
This clever French loaf is stuffed with a savory ham salad and cubes of Swiss
and Cheddar cheese. Make ahead of time and keep well-wrapped in the refrigerator
before slicing thinly to serve.
- 1 1/2 pounds ham, ground fine
- 10 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons Dijon-style mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1 1/2 ounces Swiss cheese, in one piece
- 1 1/2 ounces sharp Cheddar cheese, in one piece
- 1 long loaf French bread, slender, about 12 ounces
- 12 gherkins
- In large bowl combine butter, mustard, allspice, nutmeg, pepper and thyme; mix
- Add ground ham to butter mixture; blending well.
- Slice Swiss and Cheddar cheese into 1/4-inch thick sticks.
- Turn bread top side down; cut off ends.
- Make a lengthwise cut down the center
of the loaf from one end to the other, being careful not to cut through top side.
- Spread the bread apart carefully; hollow it out, leaving about 1/2-inch thick shell.
(The bread removed from the center can be dried and used for bread crumbs).
- Press half the ham mixture into the bread.
- Arrange the Swiss cheese sticks lengthwise in one row; arrange the gherkins as
the center row, the Cheddar as the third row.
- Press the remaining ham mixture on top.
- Wrap tightly in plastic wrap; then in foil.
- Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- To serve, slice filled loaf thinly; arrange slices, overlapping, on serving tray.
Prep Time 15 min | Serves 30
Nutritional information: Calories: 100 calories Protein: 6 grams Fat: 4 grams
Sodium: 430 milligrams Cholesterol: 20 milligrams Saturated Fat: 2 grams Carbohydrates:
Recipe credit: the National Pork Board - porkbeinspired.com