Make-Ahead Dagwood Sandwiches
You’ll be the hero when you bring these stacked-high wedges to a gathering.
- 2 loaves herb-flavored or cheese-flavored bread, such as Focaccia, ciabatta or Asiago cheese bread (1 pound each, about 1 inch thick)
- 1 container (6.5 ounces) garlic-and-herbs spreadable cheese
- 1 pound thinly sliced smoked turkey
- 8 ounces sliced provolone cheese
- 8 ounces thinly sliced salami
- 1/4 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves
- 8 slices bacon, cooked
- 1 sweet onion, thinly sliced, separated into rings
- 3 small plum (Roma) tomatoes, sliced
- 4 cups lightly packed torn arugula
- 1/2 cup basil pesto
- With long serrated knife, cut bread in half horizontally.
- Spread cut side of each bread bottom with half of the spreadable cheese.
- Overlapping slices, arrange remaining ingredients except pesto in order
listed over each bread bottom.
- Spread cut side of each bread top with half of the pesto, and place over
- Place each whole loaf in large food-storage plastic bag; seal and refrigerate
topped with cast-iron skillet or other heavy weight up to 24 hours.
- When ready to serve, cut each loaf into 6 equal sandwiches. Secure sandwiches
with wooden picks or small skewers.
Prep Time 40 min | Servings 12
Tailor-make this sandwich to suit personal tastes. Replace the tomato slices
with sun-dried tomatoes or roasted red pepper strips. The salami can be replaced
If no heavy item is available to weigh down the loaf, wrap the sandwich very
tightly in plastic wrap.
Nutrition Information–Serving Size: 1 Sandwich Calories 20 Calories from
Fat 270 Total Fat 30g Saturated Fat 11g Trans Fat 0g Cholesterol 65mg Sodium 1710mg
Total Carbohydrate 40g Dietary Fiber 2g Sugars 3g Protein 23g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 15% Vitamin C 6% Calcium 20% Iron 20%
Exchanges: 2 Starch; 0 Fruit; 1/2
Other Carbohydrate: 0 Skim Milk; 0 Low-Fat Milk; 0 Milk; 0 Vegetable; 0 Very
Lean Meat; 0 Lean Meat; 0 High-Fat Meat; 3 Fat
Carbohydrate Choice 2 1/2
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Recipe and photo used with permission from: Betty Crocker
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.