Pesto and Roasted Vegetable Sandwich Loaf
Wow your guests with this easy-to-make layered sandwich!
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into 12 pieces
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, cut into 12 pieces
- 1 cup whole fresh mushroom, cut in half
- 1 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise or salad dressing
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise or salad dressing
- 1/4 cup basil pesto
- 1 uncut oblong loaf Italian bread (15 to 16 ounces)
- 1 container (8 ounces) soft cream cheese with chives and onions
- Fresh herbs and herb flowers, if desired
- Heat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Spray jelly roll pan, 15 1/2 x 10 1/2 x 1 inch, with cooking spray.
- Toss bell peppers and mushrooms with oil in pan.
- Bake uncovered for 15 to 20 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- Refrigerate for 15 minutes to chill.
- Coarsely chop roasted vegetables.
- Mix chopped vegetables, parsley and 2 tablespoons mayonnaise; set aside.
- Mix chicken, 1/2 cup mayonnaise and the pesto.
- Cut bread horizontally into 4 layers.
- Place bottom layer on plate or tray. Spread with half of the pesto filling.
- Top with bread layer.
- Spoon vegetable filling over bread layer.
- Top with bread layer.
- Spread with remaining pesto filling.
- Top with remaining bread layer.
- Spread cream cheese over outside of sandwich loaf.
- Refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving.
- Garnish loaf with fresh herbs.
- Cut into 8 slices; cut each slice in half.
- Store covered in refrigerator.
Prep Time 45 min | Servings 16
Basil pesto is found in 2 places in most grocery stores. Check the refrigerated
pasta case and the pasta sauce aisle.
Chopped cooked roast beef instead of the chicken is another option for this oversized
Nutrition Information–Serving Size: 1 Serving Calories 235 Calories from
Fat 145 Total Fat 16 g Saturated Fat 5 g Cholesterol 35 mg Sodium 290 mg Total Carbohydrate
15 g Dietary Fiber 1 g Protein 9 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 14% Vitamin C 20% Calcium 4% Iron 8%
Exchanges: 1 Starch; 1 High-Fat Meat; 1 Fat
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
by Bree Hester
Recipe and photo used with permission from:
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.