School Cafeteria Recipes
City School Sweet Rolls
- 4 cakes yeast
- 2 cups lukewarm milk (or 1 cup milk plus 1 cup water)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup cake flour
- 5 cups bread flour
- 3/4 to 1 1/2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
Cake Crumb Filling
- 1 cup plain bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
Powdered Sugar Glaze
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Rolls: Dissolve yeast in milk.
- Combine sugar, salt, shortening and egg at low speed for 1 minute.
- Add milk mixture and mix 1 minute.
- Add flours and nutmeg and mix only enough for flour to be well incorporated, not more than 5 minutes.
- Roll out to a rectangle shape. Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with Cake Crumb Filling. Roll up jellyroll fashion. Slice into 1 1/2-inch slices.
- Place on greased baking sheets, cut side down and pat out fairly flat. Let rise until doubled.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 15 minutes.
- When partially cooled, brush with Powdered Sugar Glaze.
- Cake Crumb Filling: Combine and mix well.
- Powdered Sugar Glaze: Mix powdered sugar into hot water until smooth. Stir in vanilla extract.
Each serving contains about: 580 calories; 331 mg sodium; 85 mg cholesterol; 34 grams fat; 66 grams carbohydrates; 7 grams protein; .77 gram fiber
Source: Los Angeles Times - 9/23/82