- 2 large dried pasilla chile peppers
- 1 large dried ancho chile pepper
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon whole allspice berries
- 2 tablespoons dried Mexican oregano
- 1 tablespoon garlic salt
- Remove the stems and seeds from the chile peppers. Tear the chiles into small pieces.
- Combine the chiles in a skillet with the cumin, cloves, coriander and allspice and stir continuously over low heat until there is a faint crackling noise and the fragrance of the peppers is perceptible. This will take about two minutes.
- Cool completely.
- Combine oregano and garlic salt in a spice mill and grind to a fine powder. Mix, then store airtight.
Use in chili, tacos, salsas and sloppy Joes.