Au Gratin Potatoes
- About 4 large Idaho potatoes, peeled, sliced very thin
- 1 or 2 onions, sliced thin
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter
- 1 to 2 tablespoons flour
- About 2 cup milk
- 3/4 to 1 cup cheese (more or less) sharp Cheddar, Velveeta, Swiss, etc., grated
- Bread crumbs, plain or mixed with parmesan cheese
- Potatoes: Layer the potatoes and onions in a buttered dish. Sprinkle salt and fresh ground black pepper between the layers.
- Sauce: Melt butter, add flour to make a loose paste ( you have to judge this one...the thicker the paste, the thicker the sauce). Don't let it brown. Add milk and mix together with a whisk until it gets thick. Add some salt and pepper. Add cheese. Pour sauce between the layers. You can add more cheese between the layers too. Top with cheese and a thin layer of plain bread crumbs.
- Bake in a 400 degrees F oven for 1 1/2 hours.
Posted by jerseyjan at Recipe Goldmine 7/21/01 8:28:45 am.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.