Au Gratin Potatoes 2
Enjoy these delicious potatoes topped with cheese and bread crumbs – perfect
for a side dish.
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 small onion, chopped (1/4 cup)
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced (6 cups)
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- Paprika, if desired
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a 1 1/2-quart casserole with shortening or
spray with cooking spray.
- In a 2-quart saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Cook onion in butter for
about 2 minutes, stirring occasionally, until tender.
- Stir in flour, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, until bubbly; remove
- Stir in milk. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute; remove
- Stir in 1 1/2 cups of the cheese until melted.
- Spread potatoes in casserole. Pour cheese sauce over potatoes.
- Bake uncovered for 1 hour.
- In a small bowl, mix remaining 1/2 cup cheese and the bread crumbs; sprinkle
over potatoes. Sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake uncovered for 15 to 20 minutes or until top is brown and bubbly and potatoes
Prep Time 25 min | Total Time 1 hr 45 min | Servings 6
Nutrition Information–Serving Size: 1 Serving Calories 370 Calories from
Fat 170 Total Fat 18g Saturated Fat 11g Trans Fat 1/2g Cholesterol 55mg Sodium 540mg
Total Carbohydrate 37g Dietary Fiber 2g Sugars 7g Protein 15g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 15% Vitamin C 15% Calcium 30% Iron 6%
Exchanges: 2 Starch; 0 Fruit; 1/2 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Skim Milk; 0 Low-Fat
Milk; 0 Milk; 0 Vegetable; 0 Very Lean Meat; 0 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 High-Fat Meat; 1
Carbohydrate Choice 2 1/2
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Recipe and photo used with permission from: Betty Crocker
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.