Chili Topped Fried Idaho Potatoes
These potatoes are garnished with your choice of chopped green onions, minced
jalapeno, baby corn and chopped red pepper.
- 8 ounces 90% lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 - 2 tablespoons chili powder (to taste)
- 1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans, drained
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 of (26 ounce) package frozen shoestring Idaho potatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 cup canned baby corn
- 1 small red pepper, chopped
- Chili: (Chili can be made ahead of time and refrigerated; reheat before serving.)
- Over medium-high heat, in a medium stock pot, cook the beef, onion and garlic for 5 minutes, or until meat is no longer pink.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer 5 more minutes.
- Prepare the potatoes.
- Potatoes: Over medium-high heat, in a large non-stick skillet, heat olive oil until hot. Carefully add the frozen potatoes. Cook potatoes, stirring and lifting the bottom ones so they all cook evenly, for 10 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Oil the bottom of a large Dutch oven or soup pot; place the pot on top of the potatoes to weight them down (place something in the pot to serve as a weight - a brick or two works well). Cook potatoes, weighted, for another 4 minutes.
- Remove brick and soup pot; invert potatoes onto a serving platter. Top potatoes with the hot chili.
- Garnishes: Garnish with your choice of chopped green onions, minced jalapeno, baby corn and chopped red pepper.
Yield: 4 servings
Approximate nutritional analysis per serving: 495 calories, 22 g fat, 53
mg cholesterol, 819 mg sodium, 24 g protein, 52 g carbohydrates (does not include
Recipe and photo used with permission from: Idaho Potato Commission - idahopotato.com
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.