High Trail Bars
These are high-energy bars.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour, unsifted
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, unsifted
- 1/4 cup wheat germ
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup whole almonds, blanched
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup coconut, flaked
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Cream butter with 1/2 cup brown sugar until smooth. Then blend in
oats, flours, wheat germ and orange rind. Put mixture into a lightly greased 8-inch square pan.
- Next mix eggs, almonds, raisins, coconut, chocolate bits and 1/4
cup remaining brown sugar. Pour over the mixture in the pan and spread out evenly.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 35 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let cool; cut into 12 bars and wrap each in aluminum foil.