Alaskan Russian Sourdough Fruit Cake
This recipe is an adaptation of an old Russian-American fruit cake recipe from
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 1 1/2 cups raisins
- 1 1/2 cups currants
- 3 cups mixed candied fruits and
- 1 cups hard cider, sherry or brandy
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup
brown sugar, packed
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 1 cup sourdough starter
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Line two 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pans with heavy brown paper, then grease the paper
- Rinse, drain and coarsely chop raisins. Rinse, drain and pick over currants.
Chop candied fruit and peels.
- Combine all fruits with cider, sherry or brandy. Cover
and let stand overnight.
- Cream sugars, shortening and spices together until fluffy. Beat in eggs. Stir
in sourdough sponge. Combine with fruit mixture and almonds.
- Sift flour, baking soda and salt together into batter and mix thoroughly. Turn
into prepared loaf pans. Bake below oven center in 275 degree F oven about 2 1/2
- Remove from pans. Cool on wire racks before removing paper.
- Spoon 2 to 3 additional
tablespoons of sherry or hard cider over each cooled loaf before storing. Wrap in
foil and refrigerate for keeping and before slicing.
Makes 2 loaves.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Sourdough Recipes