Banana Sourdough Bread
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup mashed bananas
- 1 cup active sourdough starter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or grated orange rind
- 2 cups unbleached flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Cream together the shortening and sugar; add egg and mix until blended.
in bananas and sourdough starter.
- Add orange peel or vanilla extract.
- Stir flour
and measure again with salt, baking powder and baking soda.
- Add flour mixture and
walnuts to the first mixture, stirring until just blended.
- Pour into greased 9 x
5-inch loaf pan.
- Bake in 350 degrees F oven for 1 hour or until a wooden pick comes
- Cool to cold before slicing.