Golden Gingham Sourdough Bread
- 1 package dry yeast
- 1 1/4 cups warm water
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons
- 4 to 4 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 cups sourdough starter
- 3 1/2 cups oatmeal,
- 1/3 cup butter or margarine
- Soften yeast in 1/4 cup warm water; pour remaining 1 cup water over sugar, salt
- Stir in 2 cups flour, starter, oats and softened yeast.
- Stir in enough
additional flour to make stiff dough. Knead on floured board until smooth.
dough into ball. Place in greased bowl, lightly grease surface of dough by turning
it over in bowl, cover and let rise in warm place until nearly double in size.
- Punch dough down. Shape into 2 large loaves. Place on greased cookie sheets;
let rise in warm place until double in size.
- Slash tops with sharp knife or kitchen shears.
- Bake in preheated 400 degree F
oven for 35 to 40 minutes.
- Cool on wire racks.