Herman Good Samaritan Coffeecake
- 1 cup starter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 pound margarine, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup granulated
- 2 cups flour
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup chopped walnuts or 1 cup flour-dusted
- Beat all ingredients together as listed above, beating 6 minutes with addition
of last ingredient.
- Divide batter between two 9-inch greased foil cake pans placed
on a cookie sheet on center rack of oven.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 30-35 minutes
or till browned.
- Pierce each cake 25 to 30 times with a wooden pick and drizzle with thinned vanilla
icing while hot from the oven.
- Spread each cake with 2 tablespoons orange marmalade
or pineapple preserves.
- Sprinkle top with shredded coconut and place a thin slice
of orange in the center for garnish.
- Wrap in foil and take to a friend along with
a cup of Herman and the directions for adding to the starter. Keep one cake for
They freeze for months.
Posted by FootsieBear at recipegoldmine.com
Source: Recipe by Gloria Pitzer