Herman Orange Raisin Cake
- 1 cup Herman
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted and cooled
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1/1/2 teaspoons orange extract
- 1 teaspoon apple pie spice
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon powdered cloves
Orange Cake Icing
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 1/2 teaspoons orange extract
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1 tablespoon Tang drink powder
- 3 ounces softened cream cheese
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- As listed, combine all ingredients, adding each ingredient 1 at a time and beating
30 seconds after each addition. Beat 4 minutes after last addition.
- Let batter rest for 5 minutes while you put 1 cup raisins in small sieve and run under cold water. Dust
them lightly with flour in the same strainer and shake off excess flour. (This keeps
the raisins from sinking to the bottom of the cake.) Add to batter, stirring well.
- Pour into greased 9-inch square cake pan. Let it rest 10 minutes before baking.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 40-45 minutes or until a wooden pick tests done.
- Cool 1 hour and frost.
- Orange Cake Icing: Beat until smooth. Pour and spread evenly over cooled cake.
Dust top with 1/2 cup chopped nuts.
- Lemon Herman Cake: Use Orange Cake recipe but substitute grated lemon rind or
orange peel in cake batter and icing recipe; substitute lemon extract for the orange
extract and lemonade drink powder for the Tang.
Posted by FootsieBear at recipegoldmine.com.
Source: Gloria Pitzer Copycat Cookbook