Mendenhall Sourdough Gingerbread
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1 cup active sourdough starter
- Cream brown sugar and shortening and beat.
- Add molasses and egg, beating
- Sift dry ingredients together and blend into hot water. Beat this mixture into
- Add the sourdough starter slowly, mixing carefully to maintain
a bubbly batter.
- Bake in pan at 375 degrees F for about 30 minutes or until done.
- Serve with ice cream or whipped cream while still hot.