Mendenhall Sourdough Gingerbread
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1 cup active sourdough starter
- Cream brown sugar and shortening and beat.
- Add molasses and egg, beating
- Sift dry ingredients together and blend into hot water. Beat this mixture into
- Add the sourdough starter slowly, mixing carefully to maintain
a bubbly batter.
- Bake in pan at 375 degrees F for about 30 minutes or until done.
- Serve with ice cream or whipped cream while still hot.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.