Sourdough English Muffins
- 1 cup sourdough starter
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 3/4 to 3 cups all-purpose
- 6 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- In large mixing bowl blend sourdough starter and butter- milk.
- Combine flour,
4 tablespoons of the cornmeal, the baking soda and 1/4 teaspoon salt; add to buttermilk
mixture. Stir until well blended.
- Turn onto lightly floured pastry sheet. Knead
until smooth, adding more flour, if necessary. With rolling pin roll dough to 3/8-inch
thickness. Let rest a few minutes.
- Using 3-inch cutter, cut into muffins.
- Sprinkle a sheet of wax paper with 1 teaspoon
cornmeal; place muffins atop and sprinkle with remaining cornmeal. Cover and let
rise until very light, about 45 minutes.
- Cook over medium heat, lightly greased griddle
about 30 minutes, turning often.
- Cool completely, then store in plastic bag or bowl.
Makes 12 to 14 muffins.