Sourdough Fruit Cake
This recipe is an adaptation of an old Russian-American Fruit Cake recipe from
- 1 1/2 cups raisins
- 1 1/2 cups currants
- 3 cups mixed candied fruits and
- 1 cup hard cider or California sherry, Muscatel or Port or brandy
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 2 eggs,
- 1 cup sourdough sponge (basic recipe)
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Rinse, drain and coarsely chop raisins.
- Rinse, drain and pick over currants.
- Chop candied fruit and peels.
- Combine all fruits with cider, wine or brandy. Cover
and let stand overnight.
- Cream sugars, shortening and spices together until fluffy.
- Beat in eggs.
in sourdough sponge. Combine with fruit mixture and almonds.
- Sift flour, baking soda and salt together into batter and mix thoroughly.
into 2 (9 x 5 x 3-inch) loaf pans which have been lined with heavy brown paper and
- Bake below oven center in very slow 275 degrees F oven about 2 1/2 hours.
- Remove from pans, cool on wire racks before removing paper.
- Spoon 2 to 3 additional
tablespoons of wine or hard cider over each cooled loaf before storing.
- Wrap in
foil and refrigerate for keeping and before slicing.
Makes 2 loaves.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.