Sourdough Starter 2
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 2 1/2 cups warm water (110 degrees F)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, unsifted
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Recipe Goldmine.
- In a 6-cup glass or ceramic container soften yeast in 1/2 cup warm water. Stir
in remaining 2 cups water, flour and sugar. Beat mixture until smooth. Cover loosely
with cheesecloth, folded into several thicknesses and let stand at room temperature
until bubbly. This may take 5 to 10 days, depending upon the temperature of the
room — the warmer the room, the shorter the time for fermentation. During
this time, stir 2 or 3 times a day. The starter will develop a strong "sour"
odor as it ferments.
- When fermentation has occurred, refrigerate starter until needed.
To renew starter after using portions
- 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- Add the above to the remainder of the old starter for each cup of starter used.
Stir well. Let stand at room temperature until bubbly, at least 1 day.
- Cover loosely and refrigerate. If not used within 10 days, stir in 1 teaspoon sugar.
- Repeat the addition of 1 teaspoon sugar every 10 days.
ALWAYS stir the mixture with a wooden spoon. Do not use a metal spoon.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Sourdough Recipes