- 1 pound fresh cranberries
- 1 cup water, plus
- 2 tablespoons water
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 2/3 cups sugar
- 6 large eggs
- Put the cranberries and water in a saucepan, cover, and cook on low heat until
tender and popped.
- Pass cranberries through a food mill or press through a sieve
and put the puree back in a saucepan.
- Add the butter and sugar, melting gently.
- Beat the eggs, then strain them into the fruit. Stir constantly over medium heat
until thickened, being careful not to curdle the mixture (it should coat the back
of a spoon when thickened).
- Let cool, then pour into 5 (1/2 pint) jars or any other covered container.