Apricot-Glazed Sweet Potatoes
This is a good low fat recipe. It can be made up to 2 days ahead of time.
Yield: 12 to 14 servings
- 3/4 pound dried apricots
- 1 (9 ounce) can apricot nectar
- 3/4 cup water
- 3 pounds sweet potatoes or yams
- 3/8 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 4 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
- 1 1/2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon grated orange rind
- 1/2 cup pecan halves
- Place apricots in a medium saucepan and cover with apricot nectar and water. Let stand 1 hour for fruit to soften.
- Place over moderate heat and simmer, uncovered, until apricots are very tender, about 40 minutes.
- Cool and drain well, reserving the liquid.
- Scrub sweet potatoes or yams. Place on baking sheet and bake at 400 degrees F for 30 to 40 minutes, or until tender when pierced with a fork.
- Cool; peel and cut into lengthwise slices about 1/4 inch thick.
- Lightly grease an 11 x 7-inch shallow baking dish.
- Arrange a layer of sweet potatoes or yams in the dish.
- Cover with a layer of apricots.
- Repeat, alternating layers of potatoes and apricots.
- Sprinkle top with brown sugar.
- In a small bowl, mix 1/2 cup reserved apricot liquid with melted butter or margarine, orange juice and orange rind. Pour mixture over the layers. May be covered and refrigerated for 2 days. Before baking, bring to room temperature.
- Bake uncovered at 375 degrees F for 40 minutes, basting occasionally with liquid in bottom of dish.
- Remove from oven and place pecan halves on top.
- Return to oven and bake until casserole is bubbling and top is well-glazed, about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.