- 2 pounds firm tofu, drained and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 medium red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 large white onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 cans cooked, peeled tomatoes
- 4 cans tomato sauce
- 1 gallon water or vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup finely sliced green onion tops
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Diced red chiles, to taste
- 1 minced habanero pepper
- 2 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 3 teaspoons paprika
- 3 or 4 fresh bay leaves
- Fresh parsley sprigs
- Fry tofu in very hot olive or peanut oil until golden to seal. Pour oil from above into bottom of stock pot, adding enough to cover the bottom of the pot, if necessary.
- Make a roux by adding an equal amount of flour, cooking until thickened.
- Add remaining ingredients except parsley. Simmer for 25 minutes.
- Add drained tofu, place lid on pot and simmer for another 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add bay leaves and let cool for 15 minutes.
- Reheat if necessary and serve over steamed rice. Top with fresh parsley.