This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our
Grilled Tofu with Chimichurri Sauce
and Grilled Garlic Bread
Chimichurri sauce is a zesty Latin American condiment similar to pesto. You can
cook the tofu on an outdoor grill, but a grill pan or skillet works fine too.
- 2 cups lightly packed chopped parsley
- 4 garlic cloves, halved
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon chili pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons shallot or onion, minced
- 1/4 cup of vegetable or olive oil
- 3 tablespoons sherry wine vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika or Hungarian paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 pound water-packed extra-firm tofu, cut in half lengthwise
- Olive oil
Grilled Garlic Bread
- 8 pieces crusty and dense Italian bread, cut 3/4 to 1-inch thick
- 4 large cloves garlic, peeled and cut in half
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Chimichurri Sauce: Place all ingredients in a blender or food
processor and pulse until well chopped, but not puréed. Set aside.
- Cumin Rub: Combine the garlic, paprika and cumin; mix well. Set aside.
Cut the tofu in half lengthwise to make two “steaks” abut 3/4-inch thick. Brush
lightly with olive oil. Press the rub into both sides of the tofu steaks.
- Place tofu in a grill pan coated with oil or directly on the cooking grate over
direct heat. Cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Turn the tofu steak with a pair of tongs and a flat spatula if necessary. Sear
the second side and continue grilling until done, about 3-5 minutes.
- Cut each tofu steak in half to form 2 triangles.
- Serve with Chimichurri Sauce and Grilled Garlic Bread.
- Grilled Garlic Bread: Place bread on grill rack or in grill pan. Cook, turning
once, until golden on both sides, about 2 to 3 minutes per side. Rub one side of
each piece of bread with a half clove of garlic; rub hard for good garlicky flavor.
Place each piece of bread on a serving plate and brush with a thin coating of olive
Yield: 4 servings
Nutritional Information: Calories 406(51% from fat); Fat 23g (sat 3g, Mono
8g, poly 11g); Protein 18g; Carbohydrate 36g; Fiber 3g; Cholesterol 0mg; Iron 6mg;
Sodium 943mg; Calcium 215mg
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
Soy Foods Council