Homemade Tofu 2
- First: soak 1 cup of dry soy beans in 3 to 4 cups water overnight or until soybeans
double in size. Drain water. Put 1 cup soaked soybeans into blender. Add 2 to 3
cups water and blend until of mushy consistency. Empty into a large pot. Continue
blending soybeans with water until all have been chopped.
- Place pot on medium heat and bring to almost a boil. When the mixture starts
to boil, turn heat down to low and set timer for 30 minutes.
- With a clean cloth (or cheesecloth) draped over a colander, pour cooked soy mixture
in a cup at a time. The while liquid is soy milk. The mashed, cooked soy beans is
- Take the white liquid (soy milk) and place back on heat and pour 1/4 cup lemon
juice and stir. When this mixture begins to coagulate, you have what is called "tofu"
or curds and whey. The curds are tofu and the whey is the liquid.
- Press liquid out and this is tofu.
- Soy milk can be used in any recipe that calls for milk. Soy milk will keep almost
a week in the refrigerator.
- The okara is fiber. You can spread this out on a cookie sheet and dry in the
oven on very low temperatures. Then you can add to gravies, etc, you can think of
to hide it in.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.