Valentine's Day Recipes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- Divide 1 dough recipe in half. To one half, mix in 10 drops red food coloring. Wrap each half in clear plastic wrap; freeze for 20 minutes.
- Divide each half into 8 pieces. On a lightly floured surface, roll each piece into an 8-inch long rope, about 1/2 inch in diameter. Flatten each on 4 sides to form a square rope. For checkerboard design, place 4 ropes side by side on wax paper, alternating colors.
Top with 4 ropes, alternating colors. Repeat 2 more times, forming an 8 x 2 x 2 inch dough block with a checkerboard pattern.
- Wrap in wax paper; freeze until firm (1 hour).
- Cut dough crosswise into 1/4 inch thick slices. Using a 2-inch heart shape cookie cutter, cut a heart shape from each slice.
- Bake as directed.