Black Sesame Rolls
- 2/3 cup black sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons
- 3 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup water chestnut powder*
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- Toast sesame seeds in a skillet over low heat until fragrant.
Place in a blender or food processor and blend 5 minutes, occasionally
scraping sides. Add oil and puree 5 minutes, or until mixture resembles
soft peanut butter.
- Add 1 cup of water. Process until paste dissolves.
- Add remaining water, sugar, water chestnut powder and cornstarch.
Process until blended.
- Pour batter into a large bowl.
the bottom of a steamer with water and bring to a boil. Place steamer
basket on top. Lightly oil a heavy-duty cake or loaf pan that will
fit into the steamer basket.
- Pour batter in a thin layer
into the pan. Place pan in steamer and steam 4 minutes or until
mixture is set. Remove and cool.
- Loosen sides with a spatula,
then roll up lengthwise. Place seam-side down on a lightly oiled
plate or pan. Repeat steaming process with remaining batter, stirring
batter and oiling the pan each time.
- Slice rolls into 3-inch
pieces and serve at room temperature. Rolls may be refrigerated,
but steam to soften before serving.
* Find water chestnut
powder at Asian markets.
Source: Classic Deem Sum by Henry Chan and Yukiko and