Crispy Orange Beef
- 1 (1 pound) flank steak, partially frozen
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup cornstarch, approximately
- 2 to 3 cups PEANUT oil
- 6 to 8 pieces dry orange peel, about 1/2-inch square
- 1 dozen dry hot pepper pods, about two inches long, or to taste
- 1/4 small onion, cut in 1/2-inch squares
- 1/4 cup water chestnut slices
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced green onion
- 1 tablespoon rice wine
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- The flank steak should be frozen, but still pliable
for easier slicing. Cut it into 3 lengthwise pieces, then cut across
the horizontal to make small pieces, about 1/2 x 2-inches. Coat
the meat completely with cornstarch and set aside.
- Cut up dry orange peel into small pieces and combine in a small dish with
- Cut onion and combine in another small dish with water chestnuts.
- Mince garlic and green onion.
- Combine rice wine, sugar, soy sauce, chicken broth, and oyster sauce in
a small bowl.
- Set a metal strainer over a large receptacle (not plastic) in kitchen sink.
- Heat wok for two minutes over
highest heat. Add oil and heat until it is very hot.
- Add beef and stir to break it up. Fry for 2 to 3 minutes, until beef
takes on a yellowish cast and the outside is crispy.
- Transfer to metal strainer in sink and pour oil and beef into it.
- Place empty wok back on high heat and add garlic and green onion.
Add hot pepper and orange peel. Stir briefly. Add onion and water
chestnuts and stir 30 seconds. Add sauce and stir well to coat.
Let mixture boil until it thickens slightly.
- Add hot beef and then sesame oil. Stir once or twice and place on a warm plate.
- Serve immediately.
- Serve with steamed rice.
Serves 4 to 8 as part of a larger meal.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.