Red Cooked Beef (Hung Shao Niu Jo — China)
- 1 (2 pound) beef boneless chuck, tip or round
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil or vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine or sherry
- 1 thin slice fresh or canned ginger root or 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 scallion, cut lengthwise into halves
- 1 clove garlic, cut into halves
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Fresh cilantro (optional)
- Toasted sesame seed
- Trim fat from beef; cut beef into 1 1/2-inch cubes. Heat 2 tablespoons of
the oil in wok or 12-inch skillet until hot. Stir-fry half the beef
cubes until brown on all sides, about 2 minutes. Remove beef to
3-quart saucepan. Repeat with remaining oil and beef.
- Mix water, soy sauce, wine, gingerroot, scallion, garlic, sugar and
pepper; add to beef. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer,
stirring occasionally, until beef is tender, about 1 hour.
- Garnish with small sprigs of cilantro; sprinkle with sesame seed. Serve
with hot cooked Chinese noodles, if desired.
Yields 8 servings.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.