Sweet Potato Pot Stickers and
Spicy Ginger Lime Dipping Sauce
For the Filling
- 1 (16 ounce) can Louisiana sweet potatoes
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup shallots minced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger minced
- 1 teaspoons Asian chili garlic sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
For the Pot Stickers
- 1 package pot sticker wrappers
- 1 1/2 tablespoons canola oil vegetable or chicken broth or water
- Sesame seeds toasted
For the Spicy Ginger Lime Dipping Sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ginger finely grated
- 1/2 teaspoon Asian chili garlic sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon chives chopped
- 1 tablespoon cilantro chopped
- Combine all sauce ingredients in small, non reactive bowl and mix; reserve. Whisk
well before serving.
- Heat vegetable oil over medium high heat. Add shallots, garlic and ginger.
until shallots are golden and translucent. Set aside.
- Drain and mash sweet potatoes. Place in large mixing bowl and mash well with
potato masher or large fork. Add shallot mixture, chili garlic sauce, sesame oil,
lime juice and salt. Chill several hours.
- Remove sweet potato filling from refrigerator. Place one pot sticker wrapper
on work surface. Place one teaspoon of filling in center of wrapper. With pastry
brush moisten edges of wrapper with water. Fold wrapper over filling in half, pressing
out air and sealing edges together to create a half moon. Pleat edges with fingers
or press with fork to make decorative ridges. Set pot sticker on cookie sheet and
cover with plastic wrap or damp towel to keep moist. Repeat with remaining filling
and wrappers. (May be made ahead and kept in refrigerator, covered until ready to
- Coat skillet or wok with 1-2 tablespoons oil over high heat until smoking. Place
6-8 pot stickers at a time in hot pan, do not crowd, and let cook for 1 minute to
brown. Turn pot stickers over with tongs, add 1/2 cup broth or water and cover with
lid. Take care, it will spatter. Turn heat to low, and led steam for 2 minutes.
Remove lid and let cook 1 more minute.
- Remove pot stickers to paper towel lined cookie sheet to drain. Sprinkle with
toasted sesame seeds.
- Serve immediately with Spicy Ginger Lime Dipping Sauce.
Credit: Diane Halferty, 2011 Sweet Rewards Recipe Contest – First Place, Professional
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Louisiana Sweet Potato Commission.