Braised Beef with Aspic and Marinated Vegetables
(Boeuf a la Mode en Gelee)
This is great for a summer brunch or buffet main course.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 pounds beef rolled rump roast
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatine
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 teaspoon instant beef bouillon
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 8 medium carrots
- 1 pound green beans
- 1 (16 ounce) can whole onions, drained
- 2/3 cup olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Recipe Goldmine.
- Beef: Heat oil in Dutch oven until hot. Cook beef over medium heat until brown
on all sides; drain.
- Add 1/2 cup water; sprinkle beef with salt and pepper.
- Cover and bake at 325 degrees F until tender, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Cool slightly. Cover and refrigerate beef and broth separately at least 8 hours.
- Sprinkle gelatine over 2 tablespoons water in saucepan; stir in bouillon and
wine. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until gelatine is dissolved.
- Remove from heat. Skim fat from broth; add enough cold water to broth to measure 1 cup.
Stir into gelatine mixture.
- Place pan with gelatine mixture in bowl of ice and water;
stir until mixture begins to thicken, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Remove string from beef; trim fat. Cut beef into very thin slices; arrange on
large platter. Coat entire surface of beef with small amount of gelatin mixture.
Pour any remaining mixture into a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan. Cover and refrigerate beef
and gelatine mixture no longer than 24 hours.
- Prepare Marinated Vegetables.
- Arrange vegetables around beef.
- Cut aspic in loaf dish into small diamonds or
squares; arrange around beef or serve separately.
- Marinated Vegetables: Cut carrots into 2-inch pieces, rounding the edges so that
they resemble baby carrots, if desired. Cover and cook carrots and beans in 1-inch
boiling salted water, using 1/2 teaspoon salt to 1 cup water, in separate saucepans
until tender; beans 15 to 20 minutes, carrots 20 to 25 minutes; drain.
- Arrange cooked vegetables and onions in separate sections in shallow glass dish.
- Shake remaining ingredients in tightly covered jar; pour over vegetables.
- Cover and refrigerate, spooning marinade over vegetables occasionally, at least 2 hours.
Yield: 12 to 12 servings
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> French Recipes