- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1 1/4 cups warm water (105 to 115 degrees F)
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 3/4 to 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- 1 egg white
- 2 tablespoons cold water
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Recipe Goldmine.
- Dissolve yeast in warm water in large bowl. Stir in sugar, salt and 2 cups of
the flour. Beat until smooth.
- Stir in enough remaining flour to make dough easy
to handle. Turn dough onto lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic,
about 5 minutes.
- Place in greased bowl; turn greased side up. Cover with damp cloth;
let rise in warm place until double, 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Dough is ready if indentation
remains when touched.
- Punch dough down; cover and let rest 15 minutes.
- Grease cookie sheet; sprinkle with cornmeal.
- Roll dough into a 15 x 10-inch rectangle. Roll up tightly, beginning
at 15-inch side; seal edge. Roll gently back and forth to taper ends. Place on cookie
sheet. Make 1/4-inch slashes in loaf at 2-inch intervals or make 1 lengthwise slash.
Brush top of loaf with cold water.
- Let rise uncovered until double, 1 1/2 hours.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Brush loaf with cold water. Bake 20 minutes.
- Mix egg white and 2 tablespoons water; brush over loaf.
- Bake until loaf is deep golden brown and sounds hollow when
tapped, about 25 minutes.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> French Recipes