Aberdeen Butter Yeast Rolls
(Butteries/Rowies - Scotland)
- 1 pound plain flour
- 1 ounce yeast or 1/2 tablespoon dried yeast
- 1 tablespoon
- 1 cup butter
- 1/2 cup lard
- 1 1/2 cups tepid water
- Mix sifted flour and salt in basin.
- Cream yeast with sugar. When it bubbles, add to flour with water. Mix well, cover,
set in warm place until bulk doubles, about 1/2 hour.
- Cream butter and lard together; divide into three parts. Put dough on floured
board, roll out into long strip.
- Dot first third of fats on top third of pastry
strip. Fold over like an envelope as when making flaky pastry. Roll out; repeat
with other strips until all butter mixture is used up.
- Roll out; cut in small oval
shapes or rounds.
- Lay on floured baking sheet, leave 2 inches between each to allow
- Cover as above; let rise for 45 minutes.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 375 to 400 degrees F.
Makes about 15 Rowies