Ayrshire Shortbread (Scotland)
- 1 3/4 cups unsifted all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup confectioners'
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons cream
* If you can find rice flour, add 1 tablespoon for a crisper shortbread.
- Combine flour, butter and sugar; form a well in the center and add egg yolk and
cream. Knead together lightly to form a stiff dough.
- Refrigerate for several hours.
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Cut dough into 20 (2 1/2-inch) rounds, 1/4-inch thick.
- Bake on a greased cookie
sheet until golden brown, about 15 minutes.