This is a very old Welsh recipe. The word "Bara" is the Welsh word
for bread and "brith" is the Welsh word for speckled.
- 1 pound mixed dried fruit, chopped
- 1 1/4 cups freshly-brewed tea
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 3/4 cups self-rising flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg, beaten to blend
- 3 tablespoons orange marmalade
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Place fruit in large bowl. Pour tea over fruit.
- Add brown sugar and mix well.
- Cover and let stand at room temperature overnight.
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan.
- Add flour, milk, egg, marmalade and cinnamon to soaked fruit mixture. Stir until
- Spoon dough into the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake until bread is brown and crusty and wooden pick inserted near center comes
out clean, about 2 hours.
- Cool slightly. (Can be prepared up to 4 days ahead. Wrap tightly and store at
Recipe Goldmine is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. This is without any additional cost to you.