- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Milk, if needed
- Red food coloring
- 1 cup apricot jam
- 2 cups finely ground almonds
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 egg, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- Lemon juice or water
- Confectioners' sugar
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Recipe Goldmine.
- Cakes: Cream butter and 1 cup sugar together.
- Beat in 3 eggs, one at a time.
- Mix in vanilla extract.
- Stir in flour, baking powder and salt gently.
- Add milk if needed.
- Divide batter into 2 equal parts.
- Add food coloring to 1 part to make a deep pink color.
- Grease two 7-inch square pans. Spread batters into pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees F until an inserted wooden pick comes out clean, about 25-30
- Let stand in pans 5 minutes.
- Turn out on racks to cool.
- Trim edges from both cakes. Cut each cake lengthwise into 4 strips as wide as
the cake is thick. Trim to make strips match.
- Heat jam slightly. Spread on sides
to glue 2 pink and 2 white strips together checkerboard fashion. Spread all 4 sides
of completed cake with jam.
- Repeat with remaining pink and white stripes.
- Almond Paste: Mix almonds, confectioners' sugar, egg, lemon juice and
almond extract together. Knead until smooth, adding a bit of lemon juice or water
if too dry to roll. Add only 1/2 teaspoon at a time. It will be stiff. Divide into
2 equal parts.
- Roll 1/2 of paste 1/8 inch thick on a surface lightly dusted with confectioners'
sugar. Cut to fit length of cake and long enough to cover 4 sides leaving ends uncovered.
Lay cake on one end of paste. Wrap completely to enclose all 4 sides of cake pinching
paste to seal.
- Roll in granulated sugar.
- Place with seal underneath on serving plate,
or store in plastic bag. repeat for second cake. Chill.
- Slice thinly to serve.
Makes 2 cakes.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Great Britain Recipes