Beef Steak and Kidney Pie
- 3/4 pound calf kidney or beef liver
- Salted water
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pounds beef steak, cut into bite-size pieces
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 cup beef bouillon
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
- Pinch of ground cloves
- Pinch of marjoram, crushed
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced and sautéed
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon shortening
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 to 3 tablespoons cold water
- Filling: Clean and split kidney; remove fat and large tubes. Soak in salted water
- Dry and cut into 1/4-inch slices. Mix flour, salt and pepper; roll kidney
and beef pieces in flour mixture.
- Melt butter in heavy pot and sauté shallots. When
shallots have taken on a little color, add beef and kidney; brown lightly, turning.
- Add bouillon, bay leaf, parsley, cloves and marjoram. Stir; cover and simmer 1 to
1 1/4 hours, or until meat is tender.
- Add mushrooms and Worcestershire sauce. If
liquid is too thin, thicken with smooth paste of flour and cold water.
- Grease a deep 10-inch baking dish. Place pie funnel in center. Add meat mixture
and allow to cool in refrigerator.
- Meanwhile, prepare pastry. Place pastry over meat, sealing pastry edges to edge
of dish. Make vents in pastry to allow steam to escape.
- Bake at 450 degrees F for 8 to 10 minutes; lower heat to 375 degrees F and continue
baking 15 minutes, or until crust is golden.
- Pastry Topping: Cut shortening into flour and salt until particles are size of
- Sprinkle in water, 1 tablespoon at a time, tossing with fork until all
flour is moistened and pastry almost cleans sides of bowl, adding 1 to 2 teaspoons
water if necessary.
- Gather pastry into a ball; shape into flattened round on lightly
floured cloth-covered board. Roll out to fit top of casserole.